Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Bobby Kennedy Jr. and Food Safety

Trump brought RFK Jr. on board to help win the election, but I see Robert Kennedy Jr as a bit of a red hearing.  He claimed that he and Trump would improve the American diet and make America healthy in just four years.   He talked about banning seed oils and High Fructose Corn Syrup, the latter of which is chemically identical to sugar. 

If you don't want government coercion for your own good, I would not support Robert Kennedy.  He also tends to promote conspiracy theories:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/10/10/rfk-jr-launches-independent-2024-run-here-are-all-the-conspiracies-he-promotes-from-vaccines-to-mass-shootings/

Trump had to promise RFK Jr. something to get him on board.  We don't know what that is, but maybe Kennedy will be the head of the FDA.  I think that is what he wants.

As far as 1000 substances banned in Europe in American foods, I want to see research done. The trouble with the European Union standards is that they are a bit like California which takes regulations too far.  (For example, the California standard on heavy metal contamination is 500 times stricter than what the Federal Government regards as safe.  This became an issue about Dark Chocolate when Consumer Reports claimed that many brands were unsafe because they didn't meet California regulations.  I eat dark chocolate every day for its reported health benefits.  I'm not worried.)

Trump did say something about doing research.   That would be good.  I don't want bad substances in my food either, but I also don't want unnecessary government coercion.

No comments:

Post a Comment